Tuesday, August 2, 2011

turkeys are awesome

After it became clear that any attempt to start a meat rabbitry was just going to lead to a lot of pet rabbits we decided to try our hand at raising turkeys. This seemed like a same bet since every bird I've ever met hates me, every last one. From the pet budgies that turned out to be the worst birthday present ever to my friends cockatoo who had NEVER bitten anyone before. And, of course, mort recently our ducks and a##hole geese. So, this last spring we went unbathed for a week while this happened:



Right from the start they were different, maybe the NOT fleeing in terror every time we approached them was the big tell? They have been personable and endlessly entertaining:



We're determined to stay the course, but... REALLY?! My alternate theory is that the turkey's reputation for stupidity is part of their master plan. These birds hate me too!! But, knowing their fate, are smart enough to give me the worst guilt trip of my life... that's comforting.

2 comments:

  1. I really like our turkeys. The ARE entertaining! Here's a video our friend took of ours just yesterday playing with a dirty paper towel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZEFeoPPow&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that video! We watched it when you first posted it on fb, too funny:) What kind are they? They're so pretty..

    ReplyDelete